17.9.10

winter wardrobes


Spring and summer shoes have been put away.  I have my ankle boots out and have made a list of essentials that only just made it through last winter and now need replacing.  I'm resisting knee-high boots until I really need the warmth.  On the essentials list are some funky woolen tights, long-sleeve tops, gloves and a winter skirt.  I accidentally washed the woollen skirt I bought from Anthropologie last winter and it's now felted and significantly smaller than I am.  There may have been tears.  But I'm past that now. Sniff. Really.

It still shocks me that I will need a completely different wardrobe to take me through the next six months.  I have really only ever had "one" wardrobe.  Sure I had boots which came out at winter and a jacket that I'd wear on the coldest of Melbourne days, but gloves and hats were fashion accessories and not necessities.  I got myself into a bit of a funk last winter, completely bored with wearing the same coat, gloves and hat day after day.  This winter I've decided I'm going to branch out and knit/buy some new ones so that I can mix and match and feel like I'm putting something new on every now and again.

I'm really only just starting to learn about this "living in the snow" business.  The concept of it taking 5 minutes to put on your "outside" gear drives me crazy.  No just nipping down the street for some milk - although the fact that we live on the 5th floor of an apartment block without an elevator negates that fact anyway.  Anyway, this week I feel like I'm preparing to go into battle , I'm taking a big breath of the "last summer air" and diving into long nights and lots and lots of inside time.  For all the seasoned winter people out there, what do you do to keep yourself going through the dark cold months?


9 comments:

Stella said...

Wow crazy different! Good luck with your knitting mission, hope you show us some of your produce! Oh, and I feel your pain re your woolen skirt, tragic, truly tragic...

Jess said...

I like your boots! I often wonder what it would be like to have snow all winter, some bloggers winter photos look so magical. I probably would be over it after a couple of days though haha!

Diana Mieczan said...

I am not too crazy about cold too and it was a huge change for me too...( moving from California to Europe)....I try to make myself happy with layering my tops and many cute glows...hahah

Kisses,sweetie
Its raining here for the last 2 days...:(

Jamie said...

I've missed out on winter for the past few years (Delhi and Rio's winter's don't really count) so I'm actually looking forward to pulling out the layers, which is my way of battling the cold. Lots and lots of colorful layers

Karli @ The Bonnie 5 said...

OK, I love your picture, but I'm sooooo sad about winter coming! Those 6 months make me forget why I moved from S. FL to Nebraska. sniff sniff
Going to check Anthropologie now... you've gotten me in the mood! ;-)

Anika said...

I like to, if possible, plan a vacation to some place that is warm...looking forward to getting away keeps me going and enjoying the cold. Otherwise I really like to play up being cozy-like you said, there is a whole preparation...so I find as many goodies that I look forward to putting on and looking at for the whole season. I admit there aren't many new (or any so far) items on that list but a few pairs of gloves and hats to look forward to make the whole process more fun. Oh, and warm drinks on the go make me happy...especially some coffee (and coffee with a little something-something for when the occasion warrants! ;) )

I love how your newly upholstered seat looks in the photo by the way!

Anonymous said...

Bear with all your gifted crafting talents, you must get rid of your (sniffs)and make a felted hat out of the tragic woollen skirt. Jenny W

Stephanie said...

Yes! What great questions. I moved from California to Minnesota in the US for college (this is my fourth year in Minnesota, where it's very cold and snows a lot - when it's warm enough to snow...) and in California I wore jeans and a T-shirt November through March (shorts and a T-shirt the other months). Now I'm experimenting a lot more with clothes - especially because I need to wear a lot more here! Jeans and a T-shirt won't due. That was mostly why I moved here - to utilize my knitting. Anyway, I love posts that are about dealing with real winter weather within your wardrobe, so I hope you post more about what you adapt to fit your circumstances.

connie lyu said...

I LOVE the dark winter months... except we rarely get them here in southern California. I usually snuggle up in blankets, read a good book and drink some hot tea/chai/chocolate :)