14.9.10

People and Faces of Istanbul

Istanbul is one of the biggest cities in the world.  Home to 13 million people, the streets are filled with life and activity.  One of the things that I was most suprised about was how friendly everyone was.  Perhaps it was the festival, but everyone was smiling, everyone was polite and, happily for me, everyone wanted their picture taken.
I took this family's portrait on the steps of a mosque close to the Galata Bridge.  The man asked me to take a picture of his family and I was initially a little suprised, but quickly snapped a picture of them all eating corn to celebrate the 'sugar festival'.  Such serious faces!! I think this picture will always remind me of the friendliness of the Turkish people and their appetite for photography!

9 comments:

Zoe said...

I'm loving these photos! It looks like such a lovely place to visit, I hope I get out of Aus one of these days.

ELK said...

what a stunning collection..gives the feeling of busyness yet peaceful...

Jen said...

Such dramatic faces. Wonderful. OK, OK, all your photos are just nudging me a bit closer to wanting to go to Istanbul. :-)

Ashley Sisk said...

These photos are wonderful but very serious faces. A friend of mine moved to that area for a few years...I never really saw many pictures so this is great.

Brandi said...

Your Istanbul photos have me swooning. How I'd love to be there to speak with the people, watch their daily activities, take in the buildings and streets and restaurants...And apparently corn.

Anika said...

great shots!

Strange- friendly people without smiles, seems odd but I will go for friendly with any face everyday!

Unknown said...

I love your photography. You have such a keen eye for interesting pictures full of stories.

Rachael

rachael said...

Sorry I was signed in under my friend's email...

Rachael

Jamie said...

Wow - I want to visit even more than ever! What beautiful people