13.9.10

Istanbul: Part 1

I had such an amazing weekend in Istanbul.  It lived up to all my expectations.  We were lucky enough to arrive right in the middle of the three day 'sugar festival' that celebrates the end of Ramadan.  Seemed like everyone in Istanbul was out on the streets celebrating with literally hundreds of street stalls selling corn, sweetened popcorn, boiled sugar sweets and ice-cream.  Made for some fantastic people watching.  Istanbul really is the meeting point of continents and cultures with european and arabic influences mixing together to create a vibrant and incredibly interesting city. Grungy nightclubs sit along side traditional shisha shops, a vibrant mix of dress, Kiosks, street stalls, bazarres... and then there is the history.  Three days was not nearly enough time to explore everything this city has to offer, but it was enough to wet my appetite and want to do a bit more travelling in Turkey.

More picture to come later, but for a start;
1. The Blue Mosque from a window of Aya Sofya
2. On the ferry; Woman and Buying Tea
3. Tiles from the Harem in Topkapi Palace
4. The Blue Mosque looking over the Bosphorus

7 comments:

Kristina said...

Isn't Istanbul such a great place? I told you :)
Great pictures, looking forward to see more. Haha, I have the same picture taken out of the window of Hagia Sofia :) Such a great view!!
And the tiles at the Harem are really out of another world, so pretty.
Viele Gruesse nach Berlin,
Kristina

Diana Mieczan said...

That sounds like a perfect little trip...I love those images and now I want to go there...hahah:)
Have a wonderful Monday,sweetie

Unknown said...

Oh... Istanbul is still on our to do list... such a great and beautiful place...
great you had a good week end!

xoxo

Simon said...

Thank you for sharing some photos and descriptions of Istanbul. I have not been lukcy enough to travel much. Your words paint a picture...and I love the photos you shared. More please.

Anonymous said...

Looks really nice there,would love to visit some day!

Nell said...

Some amazing pictures - it's on my must-see list now! And your words really DO paint a picture of being there - much better than any tour guide I'm sure! Possible future profession?! xx

Jamie said...

Gorgeous! I want those tiles in my house