3.9.10

hair cuts make me happy

I've decided to write a weekly post on Fridays reviewing my week. "A week in review".  New blog. New regular post.  We'll see how long I keep it up.  This week it's all about my hair, because it's the biggest news of my week.  Pathetic I know, but I love a good hair cut.  To be extra tricky and to keep with the theme I thought I'd be extra clever and make my photo of the day a self-portrait.  Hmmm... trickier than I thought.  This is the one that is most in focus.  So we'll move right along I think.

As I was saying, I love a good haircut.  I love everything about it.  Well, apart from the cost.  I love the indulgence of spending 2-3 hours being pampered.  I love the trashy magazines and currently I love my hairdresser.  Finding a hairdresser in a new city can be tough.  I didn't manage it when I was living in Boston.  Spent the year moving from recommendation to recommendation, always disappointed with how my hair ended up looking.  I'm not particularly fussy, really, but I have thick hair and I want it to look good.  My hair needs to be tamed with those "thinning scissors" otherwise it takes on a life force of its own and I have discovered that not all hairdressers were created equal when it comes to thinning scissors. 

Anyway, I came across my current hairdresser really by chance. After reading scores of posts on ToyTown about good English-speaking hairdressers I ended up going to the guy around the corner from my apartment.  He didn't really know how to use the "thinning scissors", but he spoke English and at the time this kind of took precedence.  And then I kept going back to him because I kept running into him on my way to work and I didn't want him to feel bad that I wasn't having my hair cut by him anymore.  And in truth ,the fact that he spoke English was still quite comforting.  

But then the last time I went he was sick and his colleague cut my hair.  Ooooh, she did such a good job.  I loved it.  I got compliments.  She used the "thinning scissors" with finesse.  She made me feel pretty, which is always a good thing when your siting in front of a mirror, staring at yourself.  I was one happy camper.  And surprisingly... she doesn't speak English!  Nope, no English.  Almost zilch. Well, zilch for a European anyway.  And I did fine.  She did fine!  We laughed together.  I learnt how to say fringe/bangs (Pony) and she learnt the English word for Scheitel (part in the hair).  But then afterwards I had the whole dilemma of what to do next time and wondered whether I could go back to her and not offend the first guy.  It took two months to make a decision, and my hair really needs cutting at least every 6 weeks, so for the last 2 weeks I was scrapping my hair back into a ponytail moaning that I needed a haircut but paralysed by the 'will I offend him' dilemma (this I know, is pathetic).  

I ended up going to the women.  It was great.  And I love my new hair.  Like I said, perhaps pathetic for it to be a highlight of my week, but there you have it.  I have a new haircut, I spoke German and it made me feel good.

Have a lovely weekend everyone! And for laughs, here's one of my favourite out-takes from the self-portrait fiasco.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

is this your new hair???
I love it!!!
Really really cute! It is wondeful... if you gonna move one day you have to save money to move your hair dresser as well...:)

Have a good week end!
xoxo

Katie said...

Very pretty! xo

Jen said...

Looks great! It was pretty comic the first time I got my hair cut here. Lacking solid hair cut vocabulary, we slogged through with a lot of dramatic hand gestures, and it came out surprisingly well. LOL.

Diana Mieczan said...

It really looks great,sweetie:)
Well done for finding a good one...I was looking for a great hairdresser here for 2 years or so and I finally managed too:)
Have a wonderful weekend with your new hair-cut:)

Kisses

Karli @ The Bonnie 5 said...

OK, first you look like you belong in a magazine! Yes really. That first shot is stunning. And I'm totally laughing at your post because I'm going thru the SAME thing with my Kindergarten sons' hair. So I might have trumped you in pathetic-ness. His normal hair gal was gone, and I HAD to tame his mane. So I had a new girl do the faux hawk. I looooooved it. But what to do, they are in the same salon! I felt like I was sneaking around - ugh! I'm giving the orignal lady one more try (next week) so we'll see. Fun stuff, huh?! But hey, lookin' good is important! :-) Especially in Kindergarten.

Fallon said...

Cute hair! I have been wanting to go short for a long time but my the man in my life loves my hair long. I may disregaurd his hair preference soon! I'm very lucky that his mother is a hairdresser so I get free cuts. SO sorry to hear you are missing your pooches =( I would hate being away from mine.Hopefully you can see them soon.

Mandy England said...

LOVE the new hair! Very cute :]

Kelly said...

It looks great! Very chic! My mom is a hairdresser, so she is the only person who has ever cut my hair - isn't that crazy? I'm glad you found a hairdresser you like.

Clare said...

...gorgeous hair, really suits you, can tell the hair dresser was good. I have the same problem moving around - added complexity of crazy curly hair - generally hair dresser has to have curly hair too!! Otherwise they just don't get it.
Did I mention I really love the name of your blog - my favourite French word! So cute and funny. x

Cindy said...

your self-portrait looks beautiful! i love your hair cut and those gorgeous eyes. i don't think it's pathetic for a haircut to be the highlight of your week at all. i'm definitely obsessed with my hair and need the thinning scissors, too. i've also had my share of adventures with stylists and my current one speaks mostly japanese, so there's lots of pointing at pictures, which is fine with me. enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Your hair looks great and I love the photos. Getting my haircut is a sore subject for me. I have yet to find a hair dresser that can cut my hair and isn't incompetent, complains about the length (it is very long), or can do what I ask (which really isn't hard). But again, amazing photos

Jamie said...

Looks amazing! I love haircuts too - nothing makes me happier!

Allana said...

I love your new hair cut and your self portraits are gorgeous - you are really pretty :)
It is so hard to find a good hairdresser that you are comfortable with and that does a great job. I have been 'shopping' for one for awhile and the girl I found who cuts really well doesn't really have the chatty, friendly personality I crave when I'm being pampered and having some much needed mummy alone time! Oh well, maybe the next one! :)

liset said...

Beautiful haircut! Beautiful photo!!

Gigi Thibodeau said...

I laughed out loud when I read your post because I've just moved back to a city I haven't lived in in 20 years, and I've been dreading finding a hairdresser for all the reasons you've stated in the post! Today I actually stood outside of a cute salon and couldn't bring myself to go in because I have grown to fear bad haircuts/dye jobs. I loved my most recent hairdresser and it was so hard to find her!

But I will be brave. I've done a bunch of research and found a place that looks and sounds great. You've inspired me. Your haircut and the photos look great!!!

Simon said...

Wow Clare....beautiful haircut and you make a beatuiful subject for your "selfie". I was supposed to get a cut Friday my stylist hurt her back. I'm waaaayyyyy overdue for a meeting with those thinning shears.

Jennie said...

Hi Clare - love your hair and glad you were able to choose the best cutter- they are a rare breed and you're right they are not all created equal with regards to thinning scissor use. I have had the same hairdresser for about 15 years and hopefully, I'll not need to find another.
I set up a blog to test it out before our holiday. You may have noticed no postings for a while BUT watch the space ... we're off to Paris on Friday