7.9.10

Inspired by...



Lastnight when I got home from work I thought I'd experiment with a few things lying around the house and create a little collage.  I've seen a few similar pieces popping up on various blogs and I'm completely smitten with the overall look.  I think this will be a work in progress.  It's not quite "there" yet, but I'm happy enough with the initial first steps to keep working.

The colours were inspired by some of the work Lemontines has been doing recently.  I first came across Lemontine's blog as a knitter, but she's now 71 days into her 365 challenge and I'm really enjoying seeing how she's developing and refining her love for texture in her shots. 
{69/365}
Isn't it lovely?

And then, I saw this post on Inspiration Studio and I haven't been able to get the idea out of my head since. Elk creates beautiful mixed-media collages and her blog is definitely worthy of a cup of tea and some down-time. "Red or Gray, Depends on the Day" is full of simple objects placed together to create beautiful and powerful images.   
Where do you get your inspiration?  Blogs, magazines, museums?  I had an interesting discussion with my sister about creativity in today's internet-based world.  She'd just been to a talk at the Melbourne Writers Festival about creativity and how the internet can be both an outlet for creativity and a vehicle that robs you of time to 'create'.  Do you think the internet helps or hinders creativity?


14 comments:

CHECKS AND SPOTS said...

I love these collages - is there nothing you can't do?!
Hope you're having a great week...
x

Diana Mieczan said...

I think it helps if you are open for other outlets too...I get inspired but everyday: life...people, blogs...really everything:)
Love your collage:) well done:)
Kisses

Ashley Sisk said...

I love that first one. And I apologize for not swinging over here in the past few days - work has really gotten in the way and you've been displaying some beautiful things. I hope you have a great week and I hope I can come back over here more often.

Wendy said...

I don't think the internet robs me of time to create, but what a lot of this internet "inspiration" leads me to is the desire to copy - I want my x to look like y. So, I try to use the original inspiration as a springboard, and steer away from the artisitc "plagarism" for lack of a better word.

In any event - thanks for posting my photo! Happy to throw some inspiration back at you, since your work always inspires me!

Clare B said...

I tend to agree with you Wendy, but also think that 'artistic plagarism' is sometimes necessary as a first step towards finding your own style. The old masters used to apprentice someone who would 'copy' their work before going out on their own. But then, the copying should be called what it is - a pathway to finding your own style. Think I'm still working on that, which is evidenced from the huge range of 'styles' that keep popping up on this blog!

Unknown said...

Beautiful collage!!
I'm so torn as to whether the internet is good or bad...we have a love/hate relationship, the internet and I...

Karli @ The Bonnie 5 said...

OK, honestly you gals with all your creativity! I don't have an ounce of it, and I'm always in awe when I see "goodies" like this. It may be a work in progress, but I think it's perfection! Just lovely. So many textures...so interesting. Oh, and I LOVE Lemontines!! Wendy is amazing and has motivated me to really figure out textures. She's a genius! (And so are YOU. Love this collage).

rebekka said...

I really love your collage. Gorgeous!!!

Jamie said...

All gorgeous works! Speaking of inspiration - be sure to check out my post on Inspiration Studio Thursday - it was inspired by your Under Another Sky photo in the flickr group

Stephanie said...

For me, with the exception of writing (blogging) the Internet has hindered my creativity. I spent years semi-addicted to chatting on the Internet and not doing anything else in my free time, and now I still sometimes force myself off the computer. Luckily in the last few months I'm finding myself turn away from the computer simply because it's "boring", and that knitting or sewing or book I've been working on is more appealing. I'm hoping to keep going down this path, where I do more creative things outside of the computer.

Papier, Ciseaux, Cailloux... said...

He is so cute your collage with this all differents elements... I love !

Nell said...

Those little birds are so darn cute. I bloomin' love drawings of little birds and that is a good one! xx

liset said...

Your collage is beautiful!

ELK said...

I really like the collage you made clare..wish you would link it over at istudio on the collage day..there will be another 9.30..i think including others for inspiration in art, writing and photography is a good thing and the internet while it has many faults brings people together from all over the world..what a great thing!!