16.2.10

pancakes!

It's Shrove Tuesday or Faschingsdienstag today.  I feel like a bit of a fraud celebrating this one - I'm not likely to fast for Lent - but who can pass up a chance to cook pancakes?  We've been talking a lot about Faschingsdienstag and Rosenmontag  in German this week.  We're learning about 'holidays in Germany' and around this time of year you either want to be skiing or enjoying the Cologne Carnival.  And beside, I don't need much of an excuse to find a reason to cook pancakes.  Not sure how I'll go on the German equivalent, Krapfen, though...

Quick, Simple Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups milk
1 egg
3 tablespoons butter, melted 
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.  Make a well in the centre and pour in the milk, egg, melted butter and mix until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan.  Spoon in the batter and turn once bubbles begin to form on the surface.
- Serve with your favourite topping!

Krapfen

Ingredients:
3-4 cups unsifted flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 pack dried yeast
2 egg yolds, beaten
1/4 cup butter
grated rind of 1 lemon
1/4 cup jam 

- Mix 2 cups flour with sugar and salt.
- Make a well in the centre and add 1/4 cup warm water and the yeast.  Mix and let rise for 20 minutes
- Add egg yolks, remaining water and butter. Mix well.  Add lemon rind and remaining flour until a soft dough forms.  Knead for 5-10 minutes, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a slightly greased bowl. Cover and allow to rise until doubled in size - about 1 1/2 hours.
- Roll dough until 1/4" thick, cut into 2" rounds.  On 1/2 the rounds place about 1tsp of jam.  Moisten edges with water and place second round on top.
- Let rise for 15 minutes.  Fry in shallow pan for 4 minutes on each side until browned.  Drain on absorbent paper and sprinkle with sugar.

Recipe from: International Recipes

2 comments:

pixelhazard said...

Are the second ones doughnutty? I'm so intrigued!

Sue said...

Apart from the rather common ditty about pancakes I've found another by Jack Prelutsky.

The Pancake Collector

Come visit my pancake collection.
It’s unique in the civilized world.
I have pancakes in every description,
Pancakes flaky and fluffy and curled.

I have pancakes of various sizes
Pancakes regular, heavy and light;
Underdone pancakes and overdone pancakes
And pancakes so perfectly right.

I have pancakes locked up in the closets
I have pancakes on hangers and hooks.
There are bags in boxes and bureaus
And pressed in the pages of books.

There are pretty ones sewn to the cushions
And tastefully pinned to the drapes.
The ceilings are coated with pancakes
And pressed in the pages with crepes.

I have pancakes in most of my pockets
And concealed in the lining of suits.
There are tiny ones stuffed in my mittens
And large one packed in my boots.

I have extra of most of my pancakes,
I maintain them in rows on these shelves.
And if you say nice things about them
You may take a few home for yourselves.

I see that you’ve got to be going.
Won’t you let yourselves out by the door?
It is time that I pour out the batter
And bake up a few hundred more.