28.7.10

A Balcony Garden


Our little balcony garden has grown so much since this photo was taken two months ago.  Look at it now.
Basil, sour lettuce, peppermint, rosemary and olives and over in the another corner we have figs and tomatoes.
It's been so exciting watching everything grow over the summer.  We've been picking the rosemary for ages and adding the sour lettuce to salads every now and then, but I hadn't had any of the basil until last week.  Mmmm so good. Never let it be said that you can't grow vegies on a balcony!

Slightly related, although on another scale altogether, here are some photos from one of the most amazing gardens I've visited in a little while. The recovery breakfast for the wedding last week was at Kristine's parents house in a small village outside of Roskilde.  Kristine's mum is the chief gardner and I'm a little jealous of her green thumb.  I spent a good little while wandering around the cottage garden, nibbling on the strawberries and rapsberries and making friends with the little bottle-lamb.
I fear that the lamb is destined for a lovely autumn feast, but at least he gets to enjoy a pampered life for a little while.

8 comments:

Diana Mieczan said...

Ohhh please tell me all about your little garden...I always wanted to plant herbs and tomatoes but I was not sure if they would grow on the balcony....When did you started? So cool:)
You are such a inspiration to me...Thanks,sweetie and that other garden is wonderful ...:)

Kisses and thanks for making my day so lovely:)

elizabeth said...

how creative - starting a garden in a window box - I love the scene outside your window too - so different then the one outside mine. Love your photos - will continue to read and check in for more pictures

Stephanie said...

Olives? I think this is the first I've heard of someone growing those! Fresh food is the best.

Wendy said...

Nice! Our windowbox is growing completely out of control, but I didn't plant any spices or tomatoes this year. Sweet lamb!

Allana said...

Your garden is gorgeous!! How yummy! :)

CHECKS AND SPOTS said...

Your little balcony garden is just briliant...
Such a wonderful reminder that it doesn't take much space to have a small kitchen garden that delivers a big bounty! x

Stella said...

Now I want a balcony, just so I can have a garden like this!

Jen said...

Since we are both sadly brown thumbs, we tried a balcony experiment this year of basil, cilantro, and a few flower boxes. Since they are all actually thriving, we're encouraged to try a bit more for next year. ;-) I WISH I was a good gardener. Sigh.