23.3.11

Pansies

Pansies
I'm not much of a green thumb.  Our attempts at a little vegie garden on our balcony last year wasn't that successful. Part of the problem was a very short summer; August was cold and rainy which meant that the tomatoes didn't really ever stand a chance and I had always thought that Olives and Figs were a big ask for a northern european balcony! 

I'm keen to try again this year though - hopefully with a little more success. One of the biggest issues that I'm facing though is understanding the "planting seasons" - all those old-wives tales that I learnt growing up don't really hold here. How, for example, do you translate Plant tomatoes after Cup Day to Berlin?  Instead of doing anything clever like reading a book or consulting the internet I'm going to use the florists as a barometer.  Right now pansies and rosemary are out on display so I reckon these might be a good place to start. Now I just have to decide on the colour...
76/365

8 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Clare, here's the recipe i used for falafel burgers if you wanted to give it a go :)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5605/falafel-burgers

Kristina said...

I also do not really have a green thumb, unfortunately, as I would love to plant flowers and spices and actually keep them alive!
But new spring, new luck - I already bought some flowers bulbs and will plant them after returning from Marrakech.
And I will also start a new try on some spices, will plant them in tin cans, looks really cute!
Good luck to you and your new garden :)

Eva @ Four Leaf Clover said...

These are so pretty! I've been itching to go out on the lawn and take photos of all of the beautiful wild flowers that have sprouted. Your photos may have just given me the push I needed!

urban muser said...

i am a notorious plant killer. good luck!

Jamie said...

I know nothing about gardening, so I just wish you luck!

Jamie said...

Luck Luck Luck!!! xo

Justine said...

these are lovely, good luck with your gardening!

Katie said...

You need Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Companion. There is a UK edition (published by Quadrille) for Northern Hemisphere gardeners! ;)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stephanie-Alexanders-Kitchen-Garden-Companion/dp/1844008789