18.3.11

Sunrise

Day 49 : Winter Sunrise

I think sunrise is one of my favourite times of the day.  I don't often see it, but when I do, I relish it.  The fresh air and that special quiet "between-time" as the world seems to breath in before beginning again. There's a sense of possibility in a sunrise that I find humbling and incredibly beauitful. 

I took these pictures when I was down in Mainz a few weeks ago and I've been thinking about them a lot this week. The news from Japan, which only seem to go from bad to worse has been playing on my mind. Another afterschock, another tsunami, two - no three - nuclear reactors tinkering on the brink of meltdown. I am torn between wanting to know everything, to stay informed, and yet feel that there must be some invisible line between knowledge and voyeurism which I am at risk of dancing across.
Day 51: Sunrise over the vineyard
And so I have decided to read the headlines and then turn off.  Instead of becoming engrossed in the suffering, I have decided to revel in the now and in the possibilities that another day brings. People have an amazing capacity for resilience.  I am heading into the weekend wishing that tomorrow brings some better news for those working tirelessly in Japan, grateful for everything that I have right now and confident that as certain as the sun coming up in the morning, this too shall pass.

10 comments:

Jen said...

I love the sunsets. I moved and don't get them anymore, let me tell you. I miss them terribly!!
I haven't been watching the news, makes me so sad.

Brandi said...

It's hard reading the articles -- I just feel my heart breaking over and over again. I'm praying and I don't even know what words to use to pray, besides "Please let things get better." May the weekend bring good things for everyone.

Jamie said...

I started working before the sunrise this morning (as usual) but as the sun started to rise over the mountains I found myself stopping and just reflecting on what a beautiful world we have. It was a moment of peace I needed today.

Anika said...

Beautiful images Clare, so peaceful. I know what you mean about too much information...it's just so sad! I, like you, listen to the headlines, check in the news in the evening and then shut it off. I guess I have the luxury of doing that and it feels so. Peace to them.

Monique said...

Such calm photos. I too enjoy the early morning. It's really important to take in only as much as you can handle as it can be overwhelming. The last time I watched the news which was early this evening they mentioned a "natural disaster of biblical proportions" which has a very dark and eerie feel to it. I really hope that the people of Japan stay healthy and persevere. Have a good weekend.

Li + Belle said...

I like the sunrise very much. Since few people are on the road, the air is clear and it is still. In summer, only the birds are awake. Unfortunately, I sleep like a long time. :)
The photos are great, are the apple orchards? I've never been in the area, but I like it. (I must travel more:))

Happey weekend to you!

Joyti said...

What a beautiful post...especially your end words. This too shall pass, and I hope that Japan will be a more united, economically stronger country as a result of it.
Beautiful shot of the sunrise...

Stella said...

I agree 100% with everything you just wrote... And beautiful photos! I haven't watched a sunrise for so long!

urban muser said...

beautiful photos, and lovely words. we all need a few more sunrises in our lives.

ELK said...

i am a sunrise person as well . these images show a time of clarity and beauty . my news is off as well.