20.4.11

Donna Hay Hot Cross Buns

True to my word, I went home last night and made my Hot Cross Buns. I ate one this morning for breakfast, slightly toasted under the grill with a generous layer of butter, and for a first attempt I think I did an okay job. This batch is probably still a little dense for my liking.  I have a feeling I used the wrong yeast - there are about a dozen different yeast products in Germany and I still haven't quite worked out what the difference is between them all. Next time I might use live yeast, which is really my favourite bread-levening product anyway. 

On Adele's suggestion I also added some salt to the dough and having not tasted the sans-salt version I'm declaring it a successful addition.  I think I might jiggle the spice quantities in the next batch too - this lot had a little too much all spice and not enough cinnamon, although I think that probably had more to do with the respective age of the spices sitting in my cupboard than the recipe. But all in all, a definite success! They'll be more of these made before I declare the Easter holidays over anyway.

16 comments:

Li + Belle said...

Mhm it looks yummy.

Have a good day.

Rhianne said...

I love hot cross buns, these look delicious :)

Kelly said...

yum! and i love the photos!

Brandi said...

If I had enough time this morning, I'd totally be making these. This weekend perhaps. Oh, they looks so wonderful!

Anika said...

Mmmm, thanks for the link! They look delicious.

Simon said...

From here-they look as tho they were amazingly delicious. Do you know the little nursery song "Hot Cross Buns"? you might need it.

Ashley Sisk said...

Those look soooo good!

Jamie said...

My mouth is watering

k said...

doorknobs! that is funny :) :) my friend is going to the UK today and she is bringing some of these back!

urban muser said...

they look great!

Jane said...

I made hot cross buns yesterday too! they were quite successful although I wouldn't say as good as bought ones, I think the recipe needs finessing before that claim can be made. It's pretty satisfying to have made them though!

Justine said...

they look absolutely delicious! yummy

amy said...

Hello lovely.
These photographs bring drool to my lips.
I can smell the delicious hot cross bun through the computer screen. Love your blog xx



hope to hear from you*
love amy ^.^
www.amyflyingakite.com

Anonymous said...

oh yes! Lovely! I made mine yesterday but made the stupid mistake of glazing them before baking them - what was I thinking? - so they burned on top. And I forgot the salt.

But all in all a good mix. I had fun making them and it's reignited my bread making passion!

Nicole Craven said...

yumm! those look so delicious
www.lovelyinfluence.com

Monique said...

Yay! They look delicious so glad they turned out okay. I'm sure the next time will be even better! I could see how yeast would be tricky. What a great Easter treat!